A natural or man-made staircase of 3 or more steps, flagged at entrance and exit.
– Front width: minimum 1 m
– Length: 5 to 10 m according to the degree of slope
– Stair Depth: Around 0.4m (16”)
– Stair Height: 0.20 to 0.30 m (8 – 12”)
To lead the horse down the staircase at a walk. Horse to follow on a loose rein, and maintain a respectful distance from the rider. Highlighting the calm and balance of the horse as well as the correct approach and attitude of the rider.
Note: Walk is Mandatory.
Scoring This Obstacle
See also: Ridden Obstacles / Scoring
Effectiveness Faults (E Score) -3 per incident
BEFORE the obstacle:
– Running Out
– Error of Course Corrected
– Stepping Back
IN the obstacle:
– Break of Gait
Style Faults (S Score) -1 per incident.
– Irregular Forward Motion
– Progression on Tense Reins
– Loss of Balance of the Horse or the Rider
– Incorrect Rider Aids
– Horse Moving Sideways
– Horse’s Nose Passing Rider’s Shoulder
(Flapping Stirrups – see Penalties).
Horse may skip stair step(s) if the rhythm of the walk is consistent.
Walk is mandatory.
Penalties (P Score)
– Brutality (-5)
– Dangerous Handling (-5)
– Fall of Horse or Rider (Rider Excused)
– Leaving The Obstacle (-10)
– Flapping Stirrups / USA (-1)