An 8m x 0.8 m corridor composed of fixed bars on level ground, with a flagged 4 meter backing zone. (see reinback ridden for example). Dimensions are the same for all Levels.
– Length: 8 m
– Width: 0.8 m
– Flags placed outside of the poles to indicate the backing zone.
– Line on the ground extending out from the bars to indicate backing zone.
To back the horse in hand for 4 m within the 8m corridor without touching the bars or stepping outside, and showing the obedience of the horse backing in hand & the appropriateness of the rider’s aids.
Scoring This Obstacle
See also: Ridden Obstacles / Scoring
– No penalty for touching the bars before and after the backing zone.
– The rider may face the horse while backing.
– The rider must not touch the horse.
– Vocal Commands are permitted.
– The horse to enter and leave the obstacle at a walk, on a loose lead.
Effectiveness Faults (E Score) -3 per incident
BEFORE the obstacle:
– Running Out
– Error of Course Corrected
– Stepping Back
IN the obstacle:
– Break of gait / stopping.
– Touching the horse.
– Touching the bars (horse or rider).
Style Faults (S Score) -1 per incident.
– Irregular Backward Motion / Resistance
– Progression on Tense Reins
– Loss of Balance of the Horse or the Rider
– Incorrect Rider Aids / Snatching the Bit
– Incorrect position of the rider – rider must be in front of horse.
– Horse Moving Sideways
(Flapping Stirrups – see Penalties).
Penalties (P Score)
– Brutality (-5)
– Dangerous Handling (-5)
– Fall of Horse or Rider (Rider Excused)
– Leaving The Obstacle (-10)
– Flapping Stirrups / USA (-1)
Get The Score!
Rate these performances to test your knowledge of TREC Rules and Scoring.
– Scroll to the bottom of the page for Judge’s Scorecard –
Judge’s Scorecard: To Come
A. E Score: / G Score: / Total:
B. E Score: / G Score: / Total:
C. E Score: / G Score: / Total:
D. E Score: / G Score / Total: