A 2.5 m circle marked on the ground with 1-2 flags indicating entrance / exit. Dimensions are the same for all Levels.
Rider has 15 seconds to mount the horse from the moment the horse’s first foot enters the circle. The horse should not move any of its feet.
Scoring This Obstacle
See also: Ridden Obstacles / Scoring
– Riders may enter the circle mounted or un-mounted*
– Time starts as horse first steps into circle.
– Rider may mount from either side.
– Mounting is considered completed when the rider has put both feet in the stirrups.
* If entering mounted, rider must dismount fully (i.e. both feet touch the ground).
Effectiveness Faults (E Score) -3 per incident
BEFORE the obstacle:
– Running Out
– Error of Course Corrected
– Stepping Back
IN the obstacle:
– Each time the horse moves a foot (fly stomping NA)
Style Faults (S Score) -1 per incident.
– Rider’s foot touches ground after starting to mount
– Incorrect Rider Position
– Loss of Balance of the Horse or the Rider
– Incorrect Rider Aids
– Rider mounts roughly (touches horse’s back with leg or foot, takes up reins abruptly).
– Rider sits down heavily on horse’s back.
– Rider Interfering With Horse’s Balance
(Flapping Stirrups – see Penalties).
Penalties (P Score)
– Brutality (-5)
– Dangerous Riding (-5)
– Fall of Horse or Rider (Rider Excused)
– Leaving The Obstacle (-10)
– Time Penalty (-1 point per second over 15 second limit)
– Flapping Stirrups / USA (-1)
– Girth is loose (-3)
Get The Score!
Rate these performances to test your knowledge of TREC Rules and Scoring.
– Scroll to the bottom of the page for Judge’s Scorecard –
A. E Score: 1 (-3 per foot moved) / S Score: 0 Eyes Down / Total: 1
B. E Score: 7 / S Score: 0 Landing / P Score: -3 Loose Girth / Total: 4
C. E Score: 7 / S Score: 1 / Total: 8
D. E Score: 7 / S Score: 0 / P Score: -1 stirrups down Total: 6*