A 2.5m circle marked on the ground with entrance / exit indicated with 1 or 2 flags.
For horse to remain still without being held by rider. Rider enters the circle mounted and places the reins on the horse’s neck. The rider earns 1 point per second that the horse stays in the circle without touching the reins – up to 10 points.
Scoring This Obstacle
See also: Ridden Obstacles / Scoring
Rules / Timing
– The rider enters the obstacle mounted.
– The rider has 10 seconds after the first hoof crosses the line of the circle to position the horse and release the reins .
– Positioning the horse while in the obstacle does not accrue circling penalties.
– The stopwatch is started when reins are place freely on the horse’s neck.
– The watch is stopped when the rider takes hold of the reins or the horse’s hoof goes outside the circle.
– Calm use of the voice is permitted.
– Ground tying is not allowed.
Effectiveness Faults (E Score) -3 per incident
BEFORE the obstacle:
– Running Out
– Error of Course Corrected
– Stepping Back
IN the obstacle:
– Horse puts its head down to graze
– Horse moves any of its feet
Timing (T Score) 0 to 10 Points
– The rider earns 1 point per second (up to 10 s.) that the horse stays in the circle. Clock is stopped when:
– Rider touches reins
– Horse steps outside of circle
Penalties (P Score)
– Brutality (-5)
– Dangerous Riding (-5)
– Fall of Horse or Rider (Rider Excused)
– Leaving The Obstacle (Reflected in Time Score)
– Rider takes more than 10 seconds to position horse: X (No Score)
– Reins on Ground (Ground Trying) or Over Saddle X (No Score)
Get The Score!
Rate these performances to test your knowledge of TREC Rules and Scoring.
– Scroll to the bottom of the page for Judge’s Scorecard –
A. E Score: X / T Score: X Eyes Down / Total: 0*
B. E Score: 7 / S Score: 3 / Total: 10
C. E Score: no faults / T Score: 7 / Total: 7
D. E Score: 0 / T Score 10 / Total: 10*
*Rider A – Horse was not within the circle.
*Rider D – Maximum score is 10.