Two concentric circles marked on the ground, with entrance / exit indicated with 1 or 2 flags.
– Inner circle 4 m in diameter
– Outer circle 8 m in diameter
It is recommended to provide a closed area to avoid horses escaping.
Dimensions are the same for all Levels.
For the horse to stand without being held by the rider. The rider has 10 seconds to position the horse in the inner circle and step to the outside of the outer circle. The horse must remain in the inner circle without rider intervention. The rider earns 1 point per second that the horse stays in the inner circle – up to 10 points total.
Scoring This Obstacle
See also: Ridden Obstacles / Scoring
Rules / Timing Specifics
– The rider may enter the obstacle either mounted or leading the horse.
– Stirrups must be secured if rider leads horse.
– When the horse or rider enters the inner circle, the first timer is started.
– The rider has 10 seconds to position the horse and come out of the inner circle.
– When the rider is between the two circles, a neutral non-timed zone, any intervention toward the horse by the rider is considered a fault.
– When the rider comes out of the outer circle, the second (points) timer is started and the rider must remain immobile.
– The timer stops when the rider intervenes or when the horse steps out of the inner circle.
– The horse can move within the inner circle.
– The reins must be left free on the neck or looped through the bridle.
– Calm use of the voice is permitted.
– Ground tying is not allowed.
Effectiveness Faults (E Score) -3 per incident
BEFORE the obstacle:
– Running Out
– Error of Course Corrected
– Stepping Back
IN the obstacle:
– Each rider intervention (during transition)
– Rider uses physical gestures to intervene (while outside)
– Horse puts head down to graze
Timing (T Score) 0 to + 10 Points
Once the rider steps to the outside of the outer circle – rider earns 1 point per second that the horse stays in the inner circle – up to 10 points total. Points clock is stopped when:
– Horse steps outside of inner circle
– Rider takes reins after leaving transition zone between circles.
Penalties (P Score)
– Brutality (-5)
– Dangerous Handling (-5)
– Fall of Horse or Rider (Rider Excused)
– Reins on Ground (Ground Trying) or Over Saddle X (No Score)
– Rider takes more than 10 seconds to position horse: X (No Score)
Get The Score!
Rate these performances to test your knowledge of TREC Rules and Scoring.
– Scroll to the bottom of the page for Judge’s Scorecard –
A. E Score: no faults / T Score: 6 / Total: 6
B. E Score: -3 Horse Grazing / T Score: 10 / Total Score 7
C. E Score: no faults / T Score: 10 / Total Score: 10
D. E Score: no faults / T Score: 10 / Total Score: 10*
* Horse may move w/in inner circle. After timer stops, judging stops. Next obstacle judge to mark fault for course error if in view.