A flagged natural or man-made ditch with distinct fixed edges, with or without water, for the horse to jump or step across. Take off and landing should be level with ground.
– Front width: 3 – 4 m
– Minimum depth 12” (.31 m)
– Maximum width across: 2’ (.61m).
To lead the horse across the ditch, highlighting the willingness of the horse, as well as the correct approach and attitude of the rider.
Horse to follow on a loose rein and maintain a respectful distance from the rider.
Scoring This Obstacle
See also: Ridden Obstacles / Scoring
Effectiveness Faults (E Score) -3 per incident
BEFORE the obstacle:
– Running Out
– Error of Course Corrected
– Stepping Back
IN the obstacle:
– Foot in ditch (Horse)
* Change of gait / jumping from a standstill permitted.
Style Faults (S Score) -1 per incident.
– Irregular Forward Motion
– Progression on Tense Reins
– Loss of Balance of the Horse or the Rider
– Incorrect Rider Aids
– Horse Moving Sideways
– Horse’s Nose Passing Rider’s Shoulder
(Flapping Stirrups – see Penalties).
Penalties (P Score)
– Brutality (-5)
– Dangerous Handling (-5)
– Fall of Horse or Rider (Rider Excused)
– Leaving The Obstacle (-10)
– Flapping Stirrups / USA (-1)
Get The Score!
Rate these performances to test your knowledge of TREC Rules and Scoring.
– Scroll to the bottom of the page for Judge’s Scorecard –
Obstacle Building Tips: To Come
A. E Score: 4 Horse passing rider / S Score: 2 Eyes Down / P: -1 FS / Total: 5
B. E Score: 1 Refusal, stopped motion / S Score: 2 Tense Reins / Total: 3
C. E Score: 4 Horse passing rider / S Score: 2 Looking Back / Total: 6*
D. E Score: 7 / S Score 2 Rider Looking Back / Total: 9
*Flapping stirrups not an issue in a saddle with fenders.