One or more flagged logs or tree trunks, without branches, on stable even ground.
– Front width: 3 m
– Maximum height all Levels: 2’-0” (.61m)
– Route for the rider provided as appropriate, not to be taken by the horse.
Rider to lead the horse over the log (s) at walk or trot, highlighting the willingness of the horse as well as the correct approach of the rider, and correct posture while maintaining control of the horse. Horse to follow on a loose rein, and maintain a respectful distance from the rider.
Scoring This Obstacle
See also: Ridden Obstacles / Scoring
Effectiveness Faults (E Score) -3 per incident
BEFORE the obstacle:
– Running Out
– Error of Course Corrected
– Stepping Back
IN the obstacle:
– Change of gait / jumping from a standstill permitted (No fault)
– Incorrect approach
– Incorrect rider position
– Loss of balance of horse and rider
– Incorrect rider aids
– Horse moving sideways
– Horse’s nose passing rider’s shoulder
Penalties (P Score)
– Brutality (-5)
– Dangerous Handling (-5)
– Fall of Horse or Rider (Rider Excused)
– Leaving The Obstacle (-10)
– Flapping Stirrups / USA (-1)
Get The Score!
Rate these performances to test your knowledge of TREC Rules and Scoring.
– Scroll to the bottom of the page for Judge’s Scorecard –
A. E Score: 7 / S Score: 1 / Total Score: 8
B. E Score: 7 / S Score -1 / Total Score: 6
C. E Score: 0 / S Score: 0 / Total Score: 0
D. E Score: 7 / S Score: 3 / Total Score: 10
A. Tentative forward motion / rider looking back
B. Rider position relative to horse / choked up on reins.
C. Did not complete obstacle.