A stepped change in ground level, such as a wall or embankment, with a distinct fixed edge on stable ground. Route provided for the rider provided as appropriate – not to be taken by the horse.
– Front width: 2 – 3 m
– Maximum heights based on Rider Level
Horse to follow on a loose rein, maintaining a respectful distance from the rider. Highlighting the forwardness of the horse as well as the correct approach of the rider and his or her correct posture and control of the horse.
L1: 2’ (.61m)
L2: 2’- 6” (.76m)
L3: 3’ (.91m)
L4: 3’- 6” (1.1m)
Scoring This Obstacle
See also: Ridden Obstacles / Scoring
Effectiveness Faults (E Score) -3 per incident
BEFORE the obstacle:
– Running Out
– Error of Course Corrected
– Stepping Back
IN the obstacle:
– Break of Gait
Note: Change of gait / jumping from a standstill permitted (No Fault).
Style Faults (S Score) -1 per incident.
– Irregular Forward Motion
– Progression on Tense Reins
– Loss of Balance of the Horse or the Rider
– Incorrect Rider Aids / Position (Excessive Hand Cues / Facing Horse)
– Horse Moving Sideways
– Horse’s Nose Passing Rider’s Shoulder
(Flapping Stirrups – see Penalties).
Penalties (P Score)
– Brutality (-5)
– Dangerous Handling (-5)
– Fall of Horse or Rider (Rider Excused)
– Leaving The Obstacle (-10)
– Flapping Stirrups / USA (-1)
Get The Score!
Rate these performances to test your knowledge of TREC Rules and Scoring.
– Scroll to the bottom of the page for Judge’s Scorecard –
A. E Score: 1 / S Score: 0 / Total: 1
B. E Score: 7 / S Score: 3 / Total: 10
C. E Score: 7 / S Score: 1 Rider position, eyes down / Total: 8*
D. E Score: 7 / S Score: 3 / Total: 10
*Flapping stirrups permitted in saddles with fenders.